Get Help

How to get help

Our foodbank works using a referral system. Find out more about how we work.

In order to provide the most appropriate help for the circumstances of your situation we work with local agencies across the county. If they feel you are struggling to put food on the table, they will send us a foodbank referral. The local agency can also provide long-term support if needed to help address some of the issues behind the reasons for your crisis.

Our foodbank works with a number of different agencies, such as Citizens Advice, East Lothian Council services, GPs, health visitors and local charities.  When you speak to a referral agency they will take some basic details from you to complete the referral. This will help them to identify the cause of your crisis and offer practical guidance. It also means we are able to prepare suitable emergency food for the right number of people and take into account any special dietary requirements.

If you cannot get to the foodbank to collect your food then please mention this to the person making your referral and they will make the arrangements for food to be delivered if this is at all possible.

Once they’ve sent the referral to us, we’ll be in touch to confirm details with you.

If you’re not sure who you can ask for a referral here is a list of some of the agencies we work with, who can support you and supply us with a referral: 

Citizens Advice Bureau

Haddington: 01620 824 471

Musselburgh: 0131 653 2748

East Lothian Council

Main telephone: 01620 827 827

We work with many different departments within the council including housing options, social work, children’s wellbeing, and community learning and development. If you already have a contact within a council department you can contact them directly or call the customer services line and ask to be connected to the department or person you would like to speak to.

Local charities

We work with a number of local charities across the county and if you are being supported by one of these you can ask your support worker for a referral.

You can also ask any of the following to complete a referral on your behalf: 

  • GP
  • Health visitor
  • District nurse
  • Minister
  • Headteacher
  • Local councillor


If you are a potential referral agency and would like to become registered with our foodbank, please contact us to find out more.


Back to Get Help